Monday, November 23, 2020

Assignments for 23.11.2020

NEF  Upper Intermediate  Workbook. slide 18  b,/ complete the text with suitable word

b) The worst journey I ever had was when I flew to New York last year. I arrived at the terminal in plenty of the time, but when I got to the check in desk, there was an enormous queue. By the time it was my turn, there were no window seats left, so I had to seat in the middle of a row. The man at passport control didn’t seem to like the photo in my passport, but in the end he let me through, but my scissors were confiscated during the security check. My flight was called as soon as I arrived at the departure lounge, and I had to run to reach the gate in time. I sat next to a small child who screamed loudly when we took off , and didn’t stop screaming for two hours. the weather in New York was terrible when we arrived and I’ve never experienced such a scary landing. I was so relieved when we finally touched the ground. The worst thing is that when I went to baggage reclaim to pick up my luggage, I was told that my suitcase had been left behind. I spent my first two days in New York with no clothes!

3 Mini grammer /so/such…that/

1. Please don’t walk so fast. I can’t keep up!

2. I’ve never seen such an awful film in all my life!

3. This is the first time we’ve had a such a long delay at the airport.

4. The terminal was so crowded that we couldn’t find a trolley.

5. There was so much snow on the runway that the airport was closed.

6. Our neighbours have got such noisy dogs that we have had to complain twice.

7. The taxi driver drive so slowly that we nearly missed our flight.

8. There were such a lot of passengers that there wasn’t a single empty seat on the plane.

Grammar.  narrative tenses

a) 1. I was late for my flight because I had parked in the wrong terminal.

2. Did you have a good flight?

3. Someone stole their hand luggage when they were waiting in the queue.

4. Where was Ewan going when his car broke down?

5. Daisy had already left the airport when she realized she had a wrong suitcase. – correct

6. Our suitcases were already at baggage reclaim when we got there.

7. We said goodbye to our friends. Then we went through the security and passport control into the departure lounge. – correct

8. He had been flying for twelve hours by the time be reached Australia. – correct

b)

1. The crew were exhausted because they had worked all night.

2. Jess was exhausted because she had been waiting for three hours for her flight to board.

3. We weren’t hungry during the flight because we had had a meal earlier in one of the airport restaurants.

4. After I had picked up my luggage, I took a taxi to my hotel.

5. My mother couldn’t move her legs because she had been sitting down for so long.

6. My flight arrived late because it hadn’t taken off on time.

c) 

My parents had never flown before, and so they were very nervous when we arrived at Heathrow Airport to take our flight to Benidorm in Spain. I left them at the terminal building with instructions to get in the queue at the check-in desk while I went to park my car in the long-term car park. However, when I got to the check-in desk myself, they were nowhere in sight. I looked for them everywhere until it suddenly occurred to me that they had already checked in a and they were waiting for me in the departure lounge. This was a real problem because I had given all the tickets to my mother, including my own and so I couldn’t check in myself. I immediately called my parents on their mobile. I was right: they had checked in and gone through to the departure lounge. They had been waiting for me for nearly half an hour at the gate with my ticket in their hands! Luckily the flight attendant went and fetched my ticket, and I finally joined them at the departure gate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many developing countries place a lot of importance on tourism

Many developing countries place a significant emphasis on tourism as an important sector for economic growth and development. Tourism can br...